Surrey VetSoc

People who can help:

Wellbeing Representitives

Our current wellbeing reps can be found and contacted by following this link. Their job is to provide information and support, organise events and promote student wellbeing in any way possible. They are a great port of call if you have any questions or worries and will either assist you directly or put you in contact with those who can, and speak on your behalf if you so wish. If you have any ideas that may improve wellbeing at the vet school that you would like to see implemented they are the people to contact.

Peer Support Scheme

Peer support mentors are fellow undergraduate and graduate students that have been provided with training and continual guidance from the Centre for Wellbeing in order to support their fellow students.

Selected by a peer support panel, mentors are available to listen to and help work through any and all issues you may have. These may be academic, personal, mental health related or anything else that may be affecting you.

All mentors abide by a code of practice and will maintain the highest standard of confidentiality and professionalism.

As students themselves peer support mentors may be able to relate closely to students concerns and provide an avenue of support should you be worried about approaching a member of staff or the Centre for Wellbeing directly.


Contact the Peer Supporters:

Personal Tutors

Your personal tutor will be a member of staff that will get to know you personally and are another source of support and information. They can provide advice on university life and academia; coping with assignments and exams; and organising placements. Again they can also be approached with any other issues you have and would prefer to discuss with a member of staff.

The Centre for Wellbeing

The Centre for Wellbeing, based on campus, promotes the awareness and benefits of good emotional, psychological and physical health. It has a team of highly skilled professionally registered Counsellors who offer free, confidential one-to-one counselling. Any problem causing any amount of distress is appropriate to discuss. It can often be surprising how much just talking about a problem can help.

The Centre for Wellbeing also has a dedicated team of advisors and nurses, who offer information and advice about how to manage your health and wellbeing including advice on sexual health, healthy lifestyle and drugs and alcohol. This differs from counselling, in that the focus is on practical ways to tackle specific problems and general lifestyle advice.

There is also a full and varied programme of groups and workshops run by the Centre for Wellbeing throughout the year, which provide opportunities to learn skills for wellbeing.

To book an appointment you will need to register with the Centre for Wellbeing. Click the button below to contact the centre.

Centre for Wellbeing opening hours:
Mon-Fri    9am-5pm



University of Surrey|Stag Hill Campus|Wellbeing Map

University of Surrey|Stag Hill Campus|Wellbeing Map

Guildowns Medical Centre

Guildowns Medical Centre is again based on campus and is the local doctor’s surgery for most university students. In order to book appointments you may need to first register by filling out a registration form and handing it into the centre, you will also need to bring proof of identification in order to register.

Once registered you can book appointments and obtain prescriptions by calling 01483 409309 and manage your appointments online via their website,

Extenuating Circumstances

Students may need to apply for extenuating circumstances if they find themselves in a situation that will temporarily prevent them from engaging in their programme, submitting assignments or attending exams. Extenuating circumstances can be applied for by contacting the relevant staff member, this can be a module organiser, personal tutor or exam invigilator, in addition to completing and submitting an application form. It is important to apply as soon as you know extenuating circumstances are required.

If you need help with ECs or an academic appeal further advice can be found on the University of Surrey Student Union’s Academic advice page